6/18/2014

Meet James Gulliver Hancock; a guy with a plan

While slowly sorting out the many photos, memories and impressions from our US trip, I google this and that. That's how I came across James Gulliver Hancock, a Brooklyn based Australian illustrator, who does tons of very impressive, commercial work for a long list of clients. What he also does, which is what caught my eye, is a lovely blog of sort of architectural on-the-move-doodles, drawings and watercolors of All The Buildings in New York - yes, that is what he calls it! And he has gotten quite far in his attempt to draw every single one of them, as you can see. I love the way some of them are really fast and sketchy, and others are brimming with details and layered colors - you can just see how he loves the details.

(He also published a book of many of these drawings, you can find it on the blog. Also you should check out another one of his projects: Tom & James Draw - drawings he makes in collaboration with his younger brother, who has Downs Syndrome. They are just beautiful!)

Oh, I wish I could draw like that! I don't have the patience to stand till long enough to practice however, so I love my camera. And I am busy working on the piles of photos I brought home with me. And even though I love it here in my green, quiet garden, I long a little bit back to noisy New York, which was our last and longest stop. I wish I was sitting in the sun outside the Williamsburg Creamery in Brooklyn, having an ice cream with my son and my husband.

We stayed on Driggs Avenue, and the Creamery was just around the corner - and here is a neighbourhood building I actually recognize from James Gulliver Hancocks blog; it is on Wythe Avenue between 1st and 2nd Street, and right next to the playground we used to go to.


James Gulliver Hancock / from the blog 'All The Buildings in New York'

No comments :

Post a Comment